Carpet care tips. How to keep carpets looking great.
If you have bought a quality carpet, it makes sense to look after it. This can be done by following certain, straightforward advice and making sure that your carpet will reward you with years of wear and stay looking at it’s best in your home .
Carpets require regular, periodic deep cleaning to remove damaging build up of grit and soil. Always make sure that you choose a reliable long established company that can deliver top quality results and works to an ethical code of practice.
For day to day care following simple maintenance guidelines can be very beneficial :
- Take off outdoor shoes whenever possible as that will prevent messy footprints coming in from the outside.
- Vacuum carpets regularly: at least weekly. Take your time doing this.
- If carpet pile begins to flatten down with age try to vacuum against the direction of the pile to help lift it.
- New carpets can shed pile fibres. Vacuum lightly and regularly so that this “fluff” does not get trodden in and clog the pile.
- Always deal with dirt and spills quickly so that they are less likely to cause discolouration.
- Blot up spills gently: do not rub a spillage into the carpet pile.
- Don’t believe old wives tales. Salt and white wine aren’t good for cleaning red wine or anything else.
- If you are using cleaning products on a wool content carpet, always make sure that they are safe to use.
- Do not use water-based cleaning agents on viscose content carpets as this can lead to irreparable damage to certain viscose types.
- If in doubt call a tried and trusted carpet cleaning company. Your carpet is a big investment, so it’s worth getting help with that stain.